Troop 94 of Shiloh has touched the lives of hundreds of young men since the troop's origin. Yesterday's scouting veterans are today's leaders in many of our community and national activities. The work of the troop has had a strong influence in the community. It is desirable to preserve the history of this vital community institution. Some facts and occurrences relating to the troop's earliest years have been lost in time. However, much has been saved and this historical document attempts to describe the history of Troop 94.
As important as scouting has been in shaping the lives of countless young men from the Shiloh area, none of the troop's work could have been accomplished without the efforts of hundreds of adult volunteers - mothers, fathers, friends, and neighbors - who have given unselfishly of their time and their skills to direct our young men down the proper path of life.
ORIGIN - Boy Scouting had been in existence in the York area since 1912. Ray Zaner, the first Scout Commissioner in 1915, organized the first official troop. Mr. Zaner would continue as Chief Scout Executive in York Co. until 1945. During this time Mr. Zaner was always trying to find a way to involve more boys in Boy Scouting.
During the summer of 1943 Mr. Zaner was passing through Shiloh on old Route #74. He knew the Shiloh Garage, owned and operated by Elmer Menges, was a gathering place for the young people because Mr. Menges sold soda and candy in his small office. Mr. Menges and his wife didn't have any children but they were very concerned about the young people in the area. On this day that Mr. Zaner stopped at the garage, Peter Julius, Frances (Tiny) Jones, and Mr. Menges were present. Mr. Zaner introduced himself to the group and mentioned that he would like to see if a new scout troop could be organized in the Shiloh area. Mr. Zaner explained the Scouting program to the three men and asked if they believed the community would support such an effort. The three men agreed that the nucleus of a scout troop easily existed in the Shiloh area. Mr. Zaner then asked if these three men would help in locating a sponsor, a meeting place, and a scoutmaster. As luck would have it - these three men were friends and neighbors and were already working together organizing the new Shiloh Fire Company - so they agree they would organize the new troop. The Shiloh Fire Company agreed to be the sponsor of the troop. Mr. Jones agreed to be the first scoutmaster. Peter Julius contacted Harvey Swartz, the York County Superintendent of Schools and a friend and a member of the same church as Mr. Julius - and Mr. Swartz agreed to allow the troop to meet weekly at the Shiloh Elementary School.
To assist Mr. Jones with the leadership of the troop, he asked his neighbor, William Litsinger to be an Assistant Scoutmaster. He agreed. Mr. Jones began to ask neighborhood boys if they would want to join a Boy Scout troop. All through the late summer and winter of 1943, Mr. Jones was registering boys into Troop 94 and by the spring of 1944, the original charter was prepared with fifteen scouts registered.
Meanwhile, Oscar Weber - President of the Shiloh Fire Company - asked Marlin Nogle to be the first Troop Committee Chairman. Mr. Nogle secured eight other community concerned men to register on the first Troop Committee.
The first charter was dated June 30, 1944 with these persons registered on the Troop Committee: Marlin Nogle - Chairman, Oscar Weber - President of the Shiloh Fire Company, Royce Kohr, Elmer Menges, George Strayer, Daniel Posey, Peter Julius, Raymond Hively, and William Ketterman.
The following scouts were registered on the first charter: Franklin Arndt, Gerald Baker, Ronald Becker, John Botts, Robert Hake, David Harris, Fred Hunter, Vincent Law, Donald Litsinger, Roland Nichols, Robert Nogle, Charles Nonemaker, Richard Reiber, Donald Seitz, and Henry Stover.
The scouts were assigned to four patrols with these patrol and patrol leaders: Flaming Arrow Patrol - Richard Reiber, Patrol Leader; Flying Eagle Patrol - Robert Hake, Patrol Leader; Fox Patrol - Henry Stover, Patrol Leader; and Indian Patrol - Robert Nogle, Patrol Leader.
The first charter presentation was held on October 17, 1944 at the Shiloh Elementary School. Russell Hild made the presentation for the York-Adams Council. The Investiture Ceremony was performed by the troop using the new candelabra made by Mr. Jones. The Shiloh Fire Company presented the troop.
Little did the Shiloh Fire Company, the Troop Committee members, the scout leaders, and the scouts back in 1944 realize that 70 years later - the efforts put forth in 1943 -1944 would produce such a memorable experience for hundreds of boys, leaders, and scout families from the Shiloh area. These people started the "OUTING" in Scouting for Shiloh boys.